Sunday, February 2, 2014

My Faith Story

Our pastor, Dr Lou Fortier, recently gave an excellent sermon on how to present your "Faith Story" in a clear and God-honouring way. By "Faith Story" is meant the story of how someone become a Christian. So, here's my Faith Story and hopefully I've taken Lou's guidance to heart!

I grew up in England and went to a working class high school called Maryhill Comprehensive School. On a few occasions our assemblies were presented by evangelists who talked about how Jesus had died for my sins on a wooden cross and that He had risen from the dead 3 days later in order to make a way for us to have a relationship with God. They offered to pray with anyone who wanted to become a Christian. Their depiction of the Gospel resonated with me but I was afraid to make any kind of commitment because I was afraid that my friends would think I was weird. Looking back, the feeling that it "resonated," and was true, was God already calling me to trust in Him, but good old peer pressure kept me from commiting.

I left the high school at the age of 17 to go to a sixth form college where I did my A Levels. I still kept in touch with a few of my friends from high school and one in particular told me about a Christian youth group that he had started attending. I was intrigued but never went to that youth group. One Saturday we all took a train to Manchester to do some shopping and I just happened to be with two of the friends who were Christians. I saw a gathering in one of the parks and persuaded my two friends to come with me to see what the gathering was all about - politics, religion or something else. As we got closer I could see it was some kind of Christian evangelistic event and I started to feel a little uneasy. Out of nowhere, a fella came up to the three of us and in turn, starting with the friends either side of me, asked "Are you a Christian?" They both answered truthfully, yes, but when it came to me I lied by saying yes too, hoping this would end the conversation and we could leave. But, no, he had a second question that he asked each of my friends: "Are you a born-again Christian?" Again, they both answered truthfully, yes, but I couldn't lie any more because I knew I wasn't really a Christian and said "No." This fella asked me if knew Jesus had died for my sins; I said yes. He asked me if I knew that if I got knocked down by a bus whilst shopping in Manchester that I would be going to hell; again I said yes. He asked me if I would go to the front of the gathering (in the US it's commonly called an "alter call"); but I said no. He pushed me further to ask why I wasn't willing to be slightly embarassed by going to the front of the gathering when Jesus had suffered such public humilation on the cross for my sins. I didn't have a good answer but I wasn't going to budge. Then he seemed to relent a little and asked if he could pray with me; I said yes. I don't remember the words, but I do remember the feeling and the internal emotions as I prayed with this fella. I felt that God was telling me "Now or never" that it was time for me to decide to follow Him and trust Him. So finally I did trust Him by praying that simple prayer (often called "the Believers Prayer"). My pride or shyness meant that God needed to send a pushy street evangelist before I would give in to Him, but I'm forever grateful for that fella for being so direct and pushy. I don't even know his name!

So that's my Faith Story, or at least the start of it. After that I started attending the youth group with my two Christian friends and unpacked the ramifications of my simple prayer. I learned about Christian community and what it really meant to be a follower of Christ. It certainly hasn't been smooth sailing for me after becoming a Christian, but throughout the ups and downs of my life, I've never regretted the decision I made that day on the streets of Manchester. I heartily recommend it to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I can feel first your reticence and then your excitement. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, thank you for sharing this, and for continuing to live out your faith by following Jesus and ministering to those around you every day. -Christy

    ReplyDelete